Dear Chamber Members and Partners,
We continue to experience challenging times as business owners, managers and residents. The federal, provincial, and municipal governments have taken broad sweeping measures to protect Canadians from COVID-19. The wide-sweeping policies and programs that governments have put in place have changed several times to address gaps in needs for businesses and employees. These measures were implemented to protect us from this global pandemic, but the devastating effect on our business community has taken its toll on many of you.
The Sherwood Park & District Chamber of Commerce has taken all necessary steps possible to protect and assist our business community. These steps include protecting our membership, Board of Directors, and staff with policies and procedures to mitigate health, financial and safety issues to the best of our abilities.
We at the chamber understand how devastating this pandemic is on your business and we have met regularly via video conferencing as a Board and would like to provide this update of our activities;
- Breakfast Networking Meetings on Thursday mornings are cancelled for the duration of our chamber year-end (June 30), and we look to resume these meetings in some manner starting in September.
- After Hours Mixers are also cancelled and will hopefully resume in September with cooperation with our partners.
- Our Monthly Luncheons will begin in some manner in September. Our Luncheons also serve as our General Meetings, and we would like to conduct board elections in person in September if possible.***
Board elections are currently postponed. Wade Cummings will move into the Presidency role on July 1 as Cathy Olesen will have fulfilled her term as president on June 30. The nomination committee will meet over the summer to ensure elections are properly conducted. The election delay allows members to take care of their companies first during these challenging times. The Board felt this process enables those interested in a board position to be in a better position to evaluate if they can run for the election and volunteer on our Board.
The Board typically does not meet over the summer but has agreed to have additional Board Meetings in July and August to assess member needs and give direction as needed to serve the membership.
All “in-person” committee meetings are cancelled unless specific invitations are sent to participants for video conference meetings.
The Great Canadian Trade Fair & Sale
- The Great Canadian Trade Fair date has been postponed until April 9, 10, and 11, 2021.
- We will host a fall Trade Fair on September 18, 19, and 20.
- All exhibitors were given the option of getting a refund for their April Trade Fair booking or keeping your payment at the chamber for the next trade fair. We fully understand the need for many exhibitors requesting their registration fees returned for the very challenging times. Still, we also are very impressed and thankful for the 76 members who left their registration fees with us. This was a great indicator to us that the Trade Fair is an important event for our membership! More detail will be forthcoming for the fall event as we work with the province to ensure that we have a safe event in September. Please contact our Events Specialist Madison to get on the waiting list for registration at email@example.com.
Our Golf Tournament date has moved to August 26. We are working out the details with the Broadmoor Golf Course for a safe, fun event. Registration will be announced mid July.
Member Satisfaction Survey
Our annual satisfaction survey for the chamber membership will be emailed out to all members, specifically to the primary contact at each member business. This year’s survey is an abbreviated version as we did not do many of our usual events or programs due to COVID-19 and should only take 4 – 5 minutes to complete. Please complete the survey and let us know what we are doing right, as well as any areas you feel we can improve on. Thank you!
Canada Day Parade
Unfortunately, the Canada Day Parade is cancelled. It will be missed greatly!
All meeting room rentals have been cancelled as of March 17. No new room booking reservations will be accepted up to June 30, and resumption of meeting rooms will be addressed as we work out safety concerns for meeting participants and staff.
Certificates of Origin Documents
- Our staff are always available via email and phone Monday through Friday, and we are anticipating the offices to be open to members and the public on July 6, 2020.
- If you have an emergency, please feel free to call Executive Director Todd Banks anytime at 780-416-3056.
- We will continue enhancing our “Shop Local” program to assist local businesses. You may have seen our Shop Local Signs throughout Sherwood Park!
- We have a webpage specifically to help members with up to date information for business needs as well as updates from federal, provincial and municipal governments and other organizations to help you during these difficult times.
Please follow the link to our COVID-19 Business Resources page at www.sherwoodparkchamber.com/covid19
The Chamber Board and Staff would like to assure you that we value your membership and all the goods and services you provide to our community. We also understand the considerable stress you are going through, not only as business people but also with your families and friends. If we can help in any way or if you have any thoughts on how we can help you get through these troubling times, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Executive Director Todd Banks at 780-416-3056.
*** All future dates listed are speculative and may change as we follow Alberta Health Services’ direction and our Board of Director’s instruction.